THE USES AND BENEFITS OF BLINDS
Blinds, their uses, and how they can benefit your home
Blinds for Your Home
When decorating or renovating your home, one of the most overlooked aspects is the window dressing. Most people focus on the theme of the room, wall colour, furniture or appliances, and art pieces that they can use to liven up the space, however they often forget about their window dressings!
When choosing an appropriate window dressing, you should take into consideration your lifestyle and needs of the room as well. You should also consider things like shade, light control, child safety, your budget, maintenance, and how much privacy you need. For these reasons (and more) blinds have become one of the most popular and attractive options for people’s homes.
As both functional and decorative, blinds work great in both professional office spaces and cosy bedrooms.
The Different Uses of Blinds
Most people opt for blinds because of the modern and classy look they bring to a room. Whilst their main function is to cover up a window, blinds can also be used for so much more making them quite a versatile decorating option:
- Door Covers: Blinds are not just meant for windows; they can also be used to cover up sliding doors and French doors which lead out to the garden or patio.
- Wall Covers: Blinds make a great cover for walls. If you need to cover up empty spaces, especially between a high ceiling and a window, wide blinds or shutters will do the trick as stylishly as possible. They can also be used over walls next to windows to give the illusion of a wider window.
- Storage Covers: If you have an open space for storage, or cupboards without doors, you can use blinds to cover them up. The blinds will easily block your stored items from view and can be decorated to suit the style of the room.
- Room Dividers: Blinds can be used as room dividers for people forced to share a room or space. They can easily be opened for guests and closed when privacy is needed. It’s also a great way to separate rooms in studio apartments where the bedroom, living room, and kitchen are all open-plan. Panel blinds will make a great choice for a room divider since each side can be designed or decorated to suit the respective room’s style.
- Entrance Covers: Some homes feature rooms with open entrances (which means no doors!). This can be unideal, especially if it’s an en suite. Some people may opt for decorative beads to use as a door covering, but did you know that you can also use blinds? They will offer more privacy than beads and are more artistically adaptable since you can add pictures and designs to them to match the room.
The Benefits of Blinds
Aside from being a highly versatile décor option, blinds have a number of benefits which include:
- Variety: There are many different types of blinds available, ranging from vertical, Venetian, and panel, to shutters and Roman shades. There are also a variety of materials to choose from including aluminium and wood giving you the freedom to choose the kind of blind which will best suit your home and style. With blinds, you can choose between colours, shades, tints, textures, and fabrics.
- Durability: Blinds today are quite durable and can last a long time, provided you properly care for them.
- Customisable: You can choose the type of blind you want, made from the material you want, complete with the patterned design you want. This means that completing your home décor has become much easier.
- Affordability: Good quality blinds are not as expensive as they were once were and with so many options to choose from, you can go for one that fits your style and budget.
- Better Privacy and Light Control: With blinds you can choose just how much of the blinds to keep open, effectively controlling how much light comes in and how much can be seen from the outside. If you love lots of light with a good amount of privacy, you can hang a sheer curtain behind the blinds.
- Protect Your Furniture: Too much direct sunlight can cause serious damage to your furniture. Blinds will effectively block out the damaging UV rays and save your furniture from extreme damage.
- Easy Maintenance: Cleaning blinds is quick and easy. All you need to do is wipe them down once a week (or every few weeks) using a soft damp cloth. You can give them a proper wash when doing your spring cleaning.
- Energy Efficient: During summer, closing your blinds can reduce unwanted heat, keeping the room cool, whilst in winter, it can help retain heat. This allows you to save on energy costs and reduces your home’s carbon dioxide emissions.
- Child Safety: Some blinds come with optional child safety features such cordless operation, retractable cords, and breakaway cord tops to prevent your child from unexpectedly tangling up in them and getting hurt.
Blinds from Timms Curtain House
Timms Curtain House has a wide range of blinds available for any of your home décor needs. With this much variety, blinds are now a great option for any home and any décor style. So, whether you need a great window covering or a room divider, blinds will help transform any space into something stylish and loveable.
Timms Curtain House
If you would like to learn more about our blinds and how they can benefit your home, give us a call on 07 3245 7720 or complete the query form on the Contact Us page and we’ll get back to you!